Is Laser Worth The Cost?
So is laser worth the cost? Well it really depends on your own personal circumstance;
Are you just starting out? Haven’t tried anything? Well then it might be worthwhile trying topical treatment first, just keep in mind if you are not seeing any changes after 2- 3months then it is worth while considering another treatment. Always take a before photo of your toenail so you can compare after a couple of months, this takes the guess work out of it.
If topical medications haven’t worked for you or are hesitant in trying oral medications then YES it is a far superior treatment.
If you have had hot laser and it has failed then YES absolutely cold is a great option (see the graph below on the difference between the two lasers).
If you have health/diet issues then it may be an option but bare in mind you success rate will be much lower than 75-90%, it could be as low as 40-50% so it would be worth discussing this with one of our Podiatrists before starting treatment.
It is important to note that there is a BIG difference! between hot and cold laser systems:
Lunula Cold Laser Treatment
- Up to 80% success rate
- Pain Free
- Each session takes only 30 minutes
- Can treat all 10 toenails at the same time
- Socks and shoes can be worn immediately after each treatment session
- Improves nail bed, due to increasing circulation via cold laser stimulation
- Safe for children and diabetics
Hot Laser Treatment
- Limited effectiveness
- Can be painful
- 1 hour + Treatment time
- Only one toenail treated at a time
- Closed footwear may be uncomfortable to wear after treatment
- Can damage nail bed
- Not recommended for children and diabetics
Lunula Cold Laser?
Now that you have an understanding of how different treatments work, it is easy to see why we now exclusively use cold laser. Unlike conventional anti-fungal medications and Hot laser systems, cold laser works by using two rotating laser beams:
- Blue Laser acts directly and specifically upon the fungus causing changes in its walls which weakens it significantly.
- Red Laser acts on your body’s natural immune cells fortifying them, thus making them more active to destroy the weakened fungus.
- Your body’s immune system is activated to attack and destroy the fungus.